Thursday, November 29, 2012

Windows and Thunderbolt

I recently got myself a GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UP5 TH (Ivy Bridge z77 chipset motherboard) along with an i7 -3770k; fully loaded with 32GB RAM and dual SDDs.

As you can see in the photo below, it has two Thunderbolt ports! I will report shortly on how well it performs under Windows with the various Thunderbolt devices I have as I get settled in with the computer.


First of all, as a Hackintosh, Thunderbolt does work with devices plugged in at boot. You can't hotswap after the OS is loaded.Displaylink-HDMI works. I had 4 monitors connected.

Overall, this is a great motherboard. 6 USB 3.0 ports in the back. Motherboard has 3 USB 3 headers so you can add another 6 ports in the front. It has two USB 2.0 ports in the back and many more headers as well. My case adds another 6 USB 2.0 ports. Plenty of SATA. The ESATA is a Marvell chipset and supports 6.0 Gbs SATA III.

I've got 16,000 + Geekbench scores with this board and a 4.0GHZ clocked i7 3770K.

Stay tune as I will report back on how Thunderbolt works under Windows 7.





No comments:

Post a Comment