Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Office acquisitions: Eames Lounge and Ottoman

This absentee blogger is busy furnishing his new house. I just ordered one of these for the office: An authentic Herman Miller licensed Eames Lounge and Ottoman (aka ELO). It was a pretty big purchase; setting me back close to $5K with tax/delivery. Yep. 5 with three zeros behind it. It has upgraded leather. I debated this heavily in my mind for quite a bit. I replace a laptop or computer every few years and those items cost me $2-$3K. Electronics are so disposable. I figure I'd keep this for a very long time and I could pass it along to my kids.

It is the real deal and should arrive in 6 weeks. I was looking at some fake reproduction ones and it bothered me to think about getting a fake. I love design and this is an iconic piece of 20th century furniture. Originally designed by the husband and wife team of Charles and Ray Eames in 1956, it has stood the test of time for over 57 years. 57 years is a long time to qualify this as a true classic. It is also a drool-worthy man-cave acquisition piece.

Trust me, this is the ultimate laptop lounging seating. This is one of the benefits of being fortysomething. I even got a matching portable walnut stand for my laptop.



No comments:

Post a Comment